Sunday, July 25, 2010

things i miss vs things i love in SK

Things I Miss
A dryer- my clothes are starting to stretch at the neck
A regular shower- i'ts hard to stand in a corner sideways in 8" of space and wash my hair.
Target
People who speak english, not all people, but important people, like the guy cutting sophie's nails and the pharmacist.
Cheese
A soft bed
An oven
Shopping for clothes/shoes. I dont necessarily need anything, it's just that now I dont even have the option. Shoes only go up to a size 8!
A couch. I could buy one but I dont really have space and it's a lot of money to spend.
Having a variety of restaurants to choose from. I mean, there are tons of Korean restaurants, but I don't care for their food. And even sometimes when I point to a picture on the menu, my food comes out looking nothing like what I ordered.
The trunk of my car- carrying more than two big bags of groceries home is next to impossible.
Dirty streets- Changwon is quite dirty, trash gets picked up every day so there are always tons of trash bags lining the streets in the downtown area
Fish smells everywhere

Things I love
NOT DRIVING!! It's so much easier to take a detour or pop in and get a coffee without having to cross traffic and park. And I dont have to pay for gas or insurance or parking.
Coffee shops on every corner
Living in a bubble- I dont overhear any conversations, I dont worry if people are staring at me or laughing at me. I am free to do basically whatever I want in public
Being close to the beach!
Taxis that get me across town for $4
Buses that get me to the next town for $3
Super cheap food- seriously, super cheap.
Having a mountain I can climb about a 1/4 mile from my house
Wide sidewalks perfect for walking Sophie
Fresh fruit and vegetables on every corner
Getting complimentary items when you purchase something. Tonight I bought a beer at dinner and got a small plate of carrots and cucumbers.
Getting away with stuff because I'm a foreigner. Someone can yell in my face for walking in front of their car but I can't understand so I can smile and walk away.
Most Korean kids- they are curious about me and watch carefully everything I do
Meeting other foreigners from all over the world who have traveled all over the world.
Everyday is an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! I'm so very proud of you Jill and am so glad you're having such an amazing time! :-)

    ReplyDelete