Thursday, June 3, 2010

first day

So I am home from my first day of teaching! I think it went well. I had a class of four 12 year olds and a class of five 14-16 year olds. The older kids are definately more challenging. I'm teaching a class that is typically only taught by Korean teachers. The school is putting a lot of faith in me, I hope I can deliver results!
In apartment news, I have to turn on a heater to have warm water. If I fail to turn it off, it warms the floors of my apartment. Weeellll, today I left the heater on and went to work. I was gone for 11 hours and when I came home it was about 100 degrees in my apartment. I took off my shoes and the floor was firey hot! Poor Sophie was panting and at first I didnt understand what happened, but now I know. I will never make that mistake again!
And I can't figure out how to turn on my stove. So I can't cook the food I bought today.
Eggs in Korea are not kept in a cooler, it sort of freaks me out, but I guess when chickens lay eggs they are not cold. Who knows? I'll find out if I get food poisoning!
More on teaching later...

4 comments:

  1. So, did the kids listen to you and pay attention to what you were teaching them? That is crazy about your floors, what is the weather there? The pics look sunny, but it is hard to tell. I think climbing mountains sounds like horrible torture, but good for you and Miss Sophie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the younger kids were listening and paying attention, the older kids...probably not listening the whole time! the main idea is to get them to speak english. I really dont give HW or classwork that is graded (except in middle school). It has been beautiful, 70s and sunny everyday, and the forecast is the same! its very lucky. Climbing the mountain kind of was torture just because it was straight up and really hot and i didnt have enough water. but it was worth it, so beautiful and really cool to look down on the city from above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the not listening thing is pretty on par for the age group, so you don't have to worry about it being your fault! So do you have them reading aloud from the book? I can give you some ideas if you need them. I will email you later. It is awesome it is 70's and sunny, that is perfection to me! The pics were great! I was wondering if you were scared when you were going up or when you got to the top of the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't reallyy scared going up or at the top. There were so many trees and it wasnt really like a cliff or anything, so I felt ok. it was really cool looking down at the city!

    ReplyDelete